Held April 29, 2009
1. Recommend that the MSHSAA support a skin condition research project to be conducted in the fall of 2009 by researchers from the Washington University School of Medicine and St. Louis College of Pharmacy.
2. Recommend that all MSHSAA member host schools develop an emergency action plan for
heat-related and injury situations at all athletic venues.
3. Recommend that the name of the family dentist and the hospital preference be added to the
MSHSAA Pre-participation Physical Form.
4. Recommend that the following additions be made to the 2009-2010 Sports Medicine Manual:
A. Page 5, Section 4-II-B2: “The designated tournament medical professional shall have the final judgment and shall make the final determination on return to competition situations.”
B. Page 5, Section 4-II-B6 (new): The designated medical professional (physician or ATC) on site at MSHSAA state events determines if a student-athlete is able to return to the same competition.”
C. Page 5, Section 5 (Title): “Securing Medical Opinions when Returning to Competition During the Regular Season.”
D. Page 5, Section 5-V (new): “If a tournament physician has been designated, he/she shall have the final judgment on returning to that competition and his/her decision cannot be over-ruled.”
5. Recommend that all the Wrestling Weight Management Certifiers be re-trained and re-certified during the summer and fall of 2010.
6. Recommend that the MSHSAA develop a “Cast Rule Physician’s Release Form” for schools
to use in sports that game rules allow student/athletes to participate in interscholastic competition while wearing casts. These forms would be made available for schools to use but would not be required for them to use.
All items approved.